Monday, March 09, 2009

Stuff White People and Environmentalists Like


Incredible hilarious cover issue of Plenty Magazine, find it at http://www.plentymag.com/ - needless to say, they have friends in high places - the writers of http://stuffwhitepeoplelike.com/, about, well, Stuff White People Like.
This is another site I follow occasionally - with 60 million blog hits, and Chinese IP like mine, it rolls on my screen only after I have finished dinner. But, it is ruthlessly self-deprecating, and if it was called Stuff Black/Jewish/Asian/Cabo Verdean People Like, the humour would be lost on you, or it would border on a litigation on an allegation of racism.
But, it is exactly about the very things white people like which confound most of us. The last posting is on the famed Moleskine notebooks - expensive , made-to-look-classic-ancient that have a near-cult following amongst journos and writers and hence, followed by Whites. What is not mentioned is that it is a special White demographic , not all white. i.e no trailer trash, Polish White, Zimbabwean Whites, etc. But, that is carping. This is a great , readable site. I wish I could start one called Stuff Ghati People Like: on my ethnicity of Maharashtrian. Poha and those annoying scarves and woolen sari blouses and literature by women writers all suspiciously called Manda Kulkarni would be part of that....but I digress.

1 comment:

Anu M said...

I read the Moleskine post! I believe Bruce Chatwin is responsible for this fad :-) Aren't there stuff brown/black people like etc. sites also around?

BTW, housewives seem to have some very impressive blogs - some of the Indian ones I have seen are great art/design blogs.