Monday, March 23, 2009

Mushrooms




Mushrooms are by far my favourite foods. It is a pleasure to trawl the wet markets here in Shanghai and get all manners of mushrooms. Some regular button ones, Enokis, wood, none of which I recognize.


The best way to eat mushrooms is to add minimal spices.


I like to saute them in olive oil at high heat, toss freshly ground (mortal and pestled pepper corns are great; green pepper corn is even tastier, some salt, that's it. Occasionally, I would add some scallions.


I have yet to learn the myriad soups made with mushrooms in the Shanghainese cuisine. But there are some wonderful soups with Enokis.
There are several fan clubs of this humble not quite vegetarian yet not an animal fungus, and I found this website as great read when you know you just have to let life slip by http://forums.mycotopia.net/

No comments: